Monday, May 14, 2012

Me being on wheels does not excuse you not paying attention

I've been meaning to comment on this for awhile, but here it is: A lot of times on my blades I find myself thinking about how much people in NYC don't pay any attention to what they are doing. These same people seem to ones who complain when I almost hit them on the street.
Now before I start, let me first point out that I know technically I am not supposed to be on the sidewalk. I know its technically against the law, but it is a law that has no basis in any sort objective reality. The bike lanes are just that: bike lanes. They didn't bother to fix any of the asphalt, and to whit, bikers are three times worse than pedestrians when it comes to being dickheads. Second, me being on the sidewalk does not automatically exempt you from paying attention.
Here's what you don't know: When I'm on my skates, I'm often navigating four or five things at once. I am trying to avoid the giant crack in the street while simultaneously watching out for the woman on her phone, and also watching out for the stroller she is pushing and the dog she is walking that she is paying no attention to and might lunge for me if i don't give it a wide berth why simultaneously trying to avoid being hit by a cab that is being hailed by the guy in the three-piece suit into the bike lane illegally as well as the van pulling out two cars ahead as well the old woman three people behind you who you don't see but I know can't move out of my way as fast as you could if you had actually been looking where you were going. And let's keep in mind none of the other people on the street are paying attention either.
So yeah, sometimes skating perilously close to you is unavoidable.
I have often been making direct eye contact with you hoping you see me in time when you walk directly into me and then bitch.
All this is to make a simple point. Doing this is mentally exhausting and I am tired of doing it. And part of me knows this is a hopeless request, but please, people, pay a-fucking-ttention, get off your phone, stop texting and look around you every once in a while. My knees will thank you.
And don't even get me started on the principles of responsible dog ownership, that's a whole other post.

No comments:

Post a Comment